Read John 15:4-8
The word ‘abide’ is gotten from the Greek word ‘meno’ which means to remain; to continue; to dwell.
1. God is the husbandman (John 15:1). God created every man and has power over every man (Genesis 1:1,26 Jeremiah 1:5)
2. Christ is the vine (John 15:1,5). We are expected to abide in Christ.
3. Believers are the branches in Christ (John 15:2,5). Abiders are true believers.
4. Every fruitless branch ‘in me’ is cut off, gathered with other dead branches and cast into the fire and burned (John 15:2,6). As believers, God expects us to be fruitful as we abide in Him. The true evidence of abiding is the fruit we show.
5. Every fruitful branch ‘in me’ is pruned that it might be more fruitful (John 15:2,5). When we show evidence of abiding in Christ, He helps us to abide the more.
6. Every branch in me is clean (John 15:3). One becomes clean cause abiding will bring ultimate salvation and the discipline to study God’s word.
7. Branches must abide in the vine to produce fruit (John 15:4-5). You cannot be productive outside of Christ.
8. The branch is helpless to produce fruit of itself (John 15:4-5). Outside of Christ, you cannot produce fruit by yourself.
9. Branches must abide in Christ or must be cut off & burned (John 15:6). Refusal to abide in Christ, is the acceptance of hell.
10. Branches must have the word abiding in them (John 15:7).
11. Branches can only glorify God when He is in them (John 15:8).